makin’ memories with the bowins!

One sunshiney day three years ago, my parents, myself and a friend from Texas were cruising down the highway when my Dad started muttering and checking his rear view mirror. I immediately thought we were being chased by a CHP, particularly when my Dad made a nice evasive maneuver off the freeway. But that’s when the engine kinda choked and stopped. We had run out of gas.

We cruised through a stoplight, turned right on the main road and limped towards a gas station. A hill halted our progress and we bailed out to push. Right about then, some friends drove by, laughed, flipped a u-ey, and joined in the fun. As we all ran down El Camino, pushing mom along in the Land Cruiser, our good friend from Texas ran along side the car with his camera out hollering, ‘Makin’ memories with the Bowins! Makin’ memories with the Bowins!’

It’s kind of become a family slogan.

All that to say, we made some more memories Tuesday night. Wes and I boarded our flight with a departure time of 7:22 on Tuesday evening. And then sat on the plane for two and a half hours waiting for storms to pass. The benefit of this was when we were finally cleared to leave, we got to witness an incredible lightening storm. The sky was continually lit up and if I’d been on my A-game I would have tried to capture the moment for you. Sorry.

Anyways, our arrival time was two hours after the departure time of our San Luis flight. I was pretty convinced that no hotel would be provided and we would be on stand-by the entire next day as the delay was weather related. So before we left, I pretty much informed my parents that I was not going to be spending the rest of my life in San Francisco and that they could get a rental deal set up for us or come themselves. Didn’t leave them much of an option.

So at 1:30 in the morning, our chariot pulled up. It was lovely to see the family. They had all piled in to escort us home. I thought the drive would be a quick 3 hours. No such luck. We had no gas and everywhere we went was closed. We went from here to there, filling up with eleven cents of gas, then seven cents, and then finally found a nice Valero. We had a McDonalds break for Wesley, a few changes of drivers, a few wild goose chases looking for a bathroom, and arrived home with the sun at 5:13.

It was quite the night. But we’re here. Together. And the parties about to get into full swing.

Makin’ memories.


About A Story of Us

My grandparents 57th wedding anniversary and my first wedding anniversary motivated to journal the adventures life brought our way . I hope to amuse the friends and family I have all over the country and, when I am my grandmothers age, look back at what I have written and chuckle. It's been four years since I began and the snickers I bring myself as I look back propel me to write on. Cheers to the future and happy memories of the past.
This entry was posted in family, friends, Travels. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to makin’ memories with the bowins!

  1. Dad says:

    I deny any story about running out of gas.

  2. Jana says:

    Wow you’ve had quite the adventures the last couple weeks! 🙂 Have a fun trip!

  3. amanda easley says:

    Once again, I am laughing! Ahhhh Kels I can totally picture this and your husband! Wes, he just seems to have the personality of I don’t know the most amiable person anywhere??

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s