day four: two eighty year olds, two twenty year olds, 4 days, 1800 miles

Because of the previous nights hotel finding frenzy, Wesley had started Saturday morning by getting on priceline and securing us a three star hotel for a mere $42 a room in Hartford, Connecticut. Grampa and Grama were quite impressed, especially when they people watched on Sunday morning. We had arrived, bleary-eyed at midnight, and I was trying to scrape together as much sleep as possible. Gramps and Grama, on the other hand, were chipper as ever and when we had all climbed aboard, they told us how ritzy some of the people staying there were, how it was evident that they had a lot of money, and how nice the place was. Wes and I agreed, chuckled, and then I drifted off for my mid-morning nap.

We headed towards home with a stop or two at some delightful scenery so that we could take a shot of the grandparents on their 58th wedding anniversary.

Grama really wanted to find a gorgeous tree to take their picture in front of and we found quite a few along this road. We strolled down to a little pond and attempted to feed the geese with some leftover honey-buns from Helen’s.

They weren’t interested.

We continued south with mainly food stops at Panera, Dairy Queen, and Chipotle, and an occasional fuel stop. Gramps was always quite helpful at these stops and would hop out of the passenger seat, grab the scrub brush for the windshield and clean away.

Another thing Gramps liked to help out with was making sure we were going the right direction. Although he was quite impressed with Wesley’s GPS, (or GSP as he called it), we had many a map floating through our car by the end of the trip and this was a common sight.

We arrived at Phillip and Ronda’s around nine pm to say hi and tell a few stories from the trip. Although not all these moments were shared, a few that bring a chuckle to me include: Wes pointing out a Georgio Armani store for me and Gramps saying, ‘Huh? Our body?’, Grampa eating a bowl of soup and looking over at Grama to say, ‘You make good soup, really good soup, but I wonder if we could get this recipe’ and Grampa coming back into the car after running an errand at a grocery store and saying, ‘Well, sorry it took me so long, as I stood in line, a lady fainted into my arms.’ True story, he just ‘held her for awhile until help came.’ My Grampa is definitley a knight in shining armour.

Although the four day travel excursion ends here, the trip by no means did, and Grampa continued to provide me with fodder for more stories.

About A Story of Us

My grandparents 57th wedding anniversary and my first wedding anniversary motivated to journal the adventures life brought our way . I hope to amuse the friends and family I have all over the country and, when I am my grandmothers age, look back at what I have written and chuckle. It's been four years since I began and the snickers I bring myself as I look back propel me to write on. Cheers to the future and happy memories of the past.
This entry was posted in Life as it Happens, Travels, Year 3. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to day four: two eighty year olds, two twenty year olds, 4 days, 1800 miles

  1. Stacy says:

    Kelsey, great blog! You made me chuckle out loud. “Huh? Our body?” Great stories, great times!

  2. Kristy says:

    Love your blog, Kels! Great stories and photos. I’ve laughed many times out loud, and so has Ian, actually! (He’s been reading over my shoulder) Keep up the fantastic work!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s