day two: two eighty year olds, two twenty year olds, four days, 1800 miles

Our continental breakfast at Best Western was pretty satisfactory and I think we were pretty close to our departure time of 8:30. Kent, Connecticut boasted of a waterfall so we headed that direction. We passed cute little downtowns and quite a few cemeteries. We saw the falls from the road and hopped out to hike up the foot path to get a better view. It was a brisk 45 degrees but well worth stopping for.

After a leisurely walk on the beaten path, we arrived at the base of the falls.

Gramps took a few pictures.

Then we hiked up some rather precarious, slick steps to get a better view of the falls from above. I was a bit nervous about this so I led the procession and told Wes to be the caboose should anyone fall. But, once again, Gramps and Grama impressed me with their hiking abilities. And here we are near the top.

And one more of Gramps and I descending.

We soon departed and I took my mid-morning nap. When I woke we were in Massachusetts and everyone was starving. We were traveling through the downtown of Pittsfield Massachusetts and once again, I was looking for another good little sandwich place. We went by a cute little place called the Market and Gramps hopped out again to see what it looked like. He was back pretty soon and said he didn’t really think it was our type of place, little head banging music and such. Wes decided to go check it out and came back and said it was a gourmet sandwich shop just like Stonefire Kitchen in Barboursville. Down went the foot again and we went to lunch at the Market. Nickel Creek music floated to my ears as we walked in and I chuckled at the head banging description. The food was wonderful and Gramps enjoyed himself. We watched a few snowflakes fall to the sidewalk and Grama declared that I would make the rest of the restaurant decisions.  I told our food stories to dad and he came up with a gold nugget for me: when you want an opinion that lines up with yours, ask one of your peers and you’ll most likely get it. Sage advice that’s worth a chuckle when traveling with Gramps and Grama.

Our next stop was in Manchester, Vermont. Grama and I had seen a church rummage sale and wanted to go take a look. Gramps started visiting with some fellow and then disappeared into an Inn there and so we walked over to the church. I found a nice trench coat and had grama hold it while I went to find Wes and gramps. Gramps had been admiring a $28,000 shotgun at some store but they both came willingly to the rummage sale. Wes was pretty pleased with his burberry inspired coat for $12 and thus we departed. When we got back into the car Grama told me that Grampa had held the door open for some ladies his age and had muttered, ‘quite the experience..’.  They all got the giggles and one whispered to the other, ‘did you hear him? He said it was quite the experience!’ and another series of giggles ensued.

A couple stops were made to take pictures of the scenery. And to catch Grampa in action.

Our final destination for the night was Burlington, Vermont. No hotel plans had yet been made and so we had mom and dad both working for us trying to get us a good deal. Good deals were hard to find and so we began searching the gps for any hotels near us that were in a good price range. We dropped Grampa off at a Days Inn to see what he thought. After he’d been in there for a good 10-15 minutes I asked wes if maybe he should check and see what was going on. Wes peered through the door and announced that Grampa had his credit card in his hand and so we all breathed a sigh of relief to finally be able to get out of the car that had grown increasingly smaller as the day went on. Suddenly, Gramps popped through the hotel doors and sidled on into the car. ‘Could you drive away quickly,’ he said. We kind of all just looked at him, then drove away. He said that the guy there had made him a little nervous and the whole deal was just sort of funny so when the guy had gone to get a form for grampa to fill out, gramps just gave him the slip. He told us later that he’d talked a bit about the Lord to the fellow and had said that, ‘well even with all the trials that you’re going through, it’s a comfort to know the Lord is with you always’. He was hoping that when the guy came back and found grampa gone, he would just assume that the rapture had taken place.

We finally made it to a Quality Inn and all got out and unloaded our baggage before heading back into the car to go find dinner. Luckily, an Olive Garden popped out not to far away and we enjoyed the much needed respite from the rush of trying to find places to lodge and eat.

About A Story of Us

My grandparents 57th wedding anniversary and my first wedding anniversary motivated to journal the adventures life brought our way . I hope to amuse the friends and family I have all over the country and, when I am my grandmothers age, look back at what I have written and chuckle. It's been four years since I began and the snickers I bring myself as I look back propel me to write on. Cheers to the future and happy memories of the past.
This entry was posted in Life as it Happens, Travels, Year 3. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to day two: two eighty year olds, two twenty year olds, four days, 1800 miles

  1. Lindsey says:

    Thanks a bunch Kels! I am enjoying these stories Very Much!

  2. Janet Smith says:

    Thanks for writing your story Kelsey.I love you’re writing style you always put a smile on my face.
    I love the part about the rapture!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s